Tuesday, April 2, 2013

End of 3rd Quarter.

It has been a crazy busy year!! It seems as if school has just started. There has been TONS of progress made in first grade and I am SO SO SO proud of my students. :)

Third quarter was busy with birthday celebrations, 100th day of school, Dr. Seuss week, a visit from my mom, grandparents, and aunt and uncle, plus longer days with warmer temperatures and more sunlight. :)

I've also started packing a little here and there to move to the new school. Its going to be a BIG job, but I am very excited for the new school. I am also hoping for a tour soon to see the progress made since December when I visited it last. :)

Here we are in the second or third week of 4th quarter. Spring is here--temperatures have been in the 20s the past few days. Its time to go manaqing (ice fishing), rabbit hunting, goose hunting, and time to get brown! :) I'm excited for more sunshine. Yesterday I went for a run because it was so warm out, the sun was shining and it was a beautiful day. :)

We've got LOTS to do between now and May 18th when school is out for the year. This week we're doing statewide testing. May 1st marks the last 3 weeks of school, and quite possibly the busiest. We'll have our elementary basketball games (k-6), cultural days, end of the year fun activities, field day, fire safety assemblies, etc.

I also have the opportunity to go to Mountain Village to be part of a small team that will do some curriculum mapping for reading and writing for next school year. Our district is transitioning back from the level system we've been using for maybe 10 years to the traditional system. This means that with our high number of students who transfer back and forth between sites, our district is going to set some fairly straight-forward guidelines of what is taught each quarter so that when students transfer back and forth between villages, they aren't missing out on one chunk and getting a double dose of something else.

It will be interesting to have so many new things next year. I am very excited to see how it all goes! :)

I am still working on my Master's degree... Seems as if Winter term wasn't the best time to start-between teaching, coaching, moose hunting, and ski doo riding I didn't have much time for homework... Oopsie! But I'm back to just being a teacher and an Alaskan now, so I hope to have more time to dedicate to my Master's classes.

I hope you are all doing well, enjoying the warmer spring weather and looking forward to summer! Can't wait to see many of you when I'm down to visit in June and July. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment